To fulfil HeartKids Research Criteria proposed research projects will need to contribute to at least one of the following objectives:
- reducing mortality and/or morbidity from childhood heart disease (CHD)
- reducing the incidence of CHD
- developing preventative measures to reduce CHD
- improving early detection of CHD
- understanding the causes and disease process of CHD
- gaining a better understanding of the consequences of CHD and its treatment including neurological, cognitive or social impacts on children affected by CHD and how these issues may be addressed
- improving the quality of life of children affected by CHD.
- improving the long term management of heart disease that is clinically manifest in childhood.