Welcome to the new ebulletin for the Faculty
For information published before 29 April 2014, please see the old ebulletin
New submissions can be sent to ebulletin@monash.edu

Wednesday 6 May 2015

Nepali student appeals for earthquake relief














Dear friends and colleagues,


My name is Sewa Rijal and I am a Monash PhD student at Alfred Medical Research and Education Precinct (AMREP). Nepal, my beloved home country, was recently struck by a massive 7.9 earthquake causing a terrible loss of life and leaving millions of survivors without proper shelter, food and water. It has been a week since the incident and I am still unable to sleep at night. Being so far away, I feel utterly helpless, combined with a sense of guilt, because I am OK when others in my country are suffering so much.

Although there have been no personal tragedies for me, I have been told of horrific stories around my neighbourhood which absolutely break my heart. A mother lost her child and couldn’t reach her despite the screams that eventually faded into the depths of the rubble. A father’s body was recovered, after he had gone to pray at a nearby temple that succumbed to the tremors. An orphanage was completely destroyed leaving a dozen children without a proper home.

I have started an online fundraising campaign for our community and their friends so funds collected can go to a local NGO working in remote areas at the grassroot level. Every penny you give will go directly to the victims and will be accounted for with updates.

Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment