Welcome to the new ebulletin for the Faculty
For information published before 29 April 2014, please see the old ebulletin
New submissions can be sent to ebulletin@monash.edu

Friday 16 January 2015

Volunteers needed for weight loss research


















Would you like to lose weight while contributing to medical science?

We are conducting a research study to determine how cognition is associated with weight loss. We are looking for overweight young adults between 18 and 24 years old to participate in a three month lifestyle modification program.

Comprising an exercise schedule and 5/2 modified eating plan (a combination of intermittent fasting and reduced energy food intake).

If you are interested, you will have six appointments with a dietitian at the Monash University BASE Facility in Notting Hill over the three months. We will ask you to complete some computer tasks and will measure your body fat and muscle with a DEXA machine. We will provide you with summary reports on your cognitive performance as well as the amount of fat and muscle in your body.

Testimonial from a recent study participant:

At the beginning, I was worried the program would be too difficult for me, and it did require some discipline. However, the dietitian’s support kept me motivated and he found the right balance between pushing me as far as I could go but never making me feel too much pressure.

The hardest part was eating less chocolate and desserts, particularly because I used to eat a lot of these when I was anxious. But limiting these foods was worthwhile when I saw I was losing weight.

Now that I’ve finished the study, I don’t feel it was as hard as I expected it to be, and I’ve lost 11kg in three months.

Most importantly, I’ve learnt how to maintain a lifestyle of balanced eating and exercising from now on.

Participating on this study was definitely worth it, not only because of the benefits I received but also because it’s nice to know this will help weight management research.


Natasha


If you are interested in participating, please complete a 10-minute survey to assess your eligibility (http://tinyurl.com/lq2odd7) or contact Fernanda on fernanda.gomes@monash.edu or 0404899486.




No comments:

Post a Comment